Watch “7 keys to a great relationship” by clicking on the title or picture below:
This video illustrates seven essential requirements of having a fantastic relationship.
1. Respect is the fundamental requirement for a good relationship. Contempt, on the other hand, will destroy a relationship. Body language and tone of voice are key in being respectful.
2. Be considerate without being overly accommodating. You shouldn’t ignore your own needs and desires or do things that you really don’t want to do.
3. Discuss problems without venting. Don’t talk non-stop about unimportant details and don’t attack the other person. You don’t want to bring down the relationship or bore the other person with trivialities and negativity.
4. Remain calm. Don’t become reactive or defensive even if the other person is angry or over-reacting. It only takes one person to keep things positive or at least prevent hostility.
5. Pursue your own passions. You don’t have to do everything together. Also don’t diminish the other person’s interests or sports.
6. Keep the romance, fun, and passion alive. Don’t allow your relationship to become mundane and ordinary.
7. Appreciate the good in the other person. Don’t be over-critical and don’t focus on the flaws. By appreciating the good in the other person, you tend to bring out the best in the other person and in the relationship.
by Dr. Alison Poulsen